The web has become a noisy place with millions of companies trying to get users’ attention. No wonder many of them apply increasingly desperate techniques to encourage users to act on their websites. We’ve seen an explosion of dark patterns attempting to manipulate users into handing over personal data or make a purchase.
However, these manipulative techniques come with hidden costs in customer service, maintenance, support, return processing fees, and social media backlash. They cost a fortune and hurt business irrevocably. Download a free PDF sample (17.3 MB).
How, then, do we encourage users to act? If dark patterns are not the answer, then what is? How do we increase clicks without shady tricks? These are the questions that Click! answers.
In the book, you’ll learn how to:
- measure conversion effectively
- build a user-centric sales funnel
- address objections and reduce risks
- build trust and overcome skepticism
- persuade people well without alienating them
- boost business KPIs sustainably
- apply quick wins to help business today
- establish long-term strategy for better conversion.
304 pages. High quality hardcover + eBook (PDF, ePUB, Kindle). For designers, marketers, entrepreneurs and product owners. Designed by Veerle Pieters.
About The Book
If you believe that we shouldn’t trick users with dark patterns, then this book is for you. A practical handbook on how to increase conversion and drive sales sustainably without alienating users with shady tricks along the way.
Click! shows you how to improve conversion sustainably with practical advice and techniques you can apply tomorrow. By figuring out how to make your way forward to establish trust with small commitments, at the right time, in the right way, and in the right order.
By reading this book, you will learn:
- The psychology of decision making.
- How to persuade people without alienating them.
- Methods for building trust and addressing user concerns.
- Quick wins that can start improving conversion tomorrow.
- Long term strategies for improving your conversion rates.
That makes this an ideal book for anybody who is looking to encourage users to act, without resorting to unethical and ultimately damaging techniques. Whether you are a designer, marketer, entrepreneur or product owner, this book will help.
It will help you meet your targets, improve the user experience and convince your colleagues, clients and managers that they do not need to use manipulation.
See A Tangible Return From This Book
Boost online sales
Boost your online profits through increased sales, higher average order value and improved customer lifetime value.
Expand your mailing list
Expand your mailing list by encouraging site visitors to sign up, and improve the quality of those who subscribe.
Encourage more people to contact you via your website and ensure those who contact you are ready to buy.
Reduce your sales, marketing and customer support costs by creating happy customers who recommend you to others.
Shipping now. (Due to Covid-19 and import restrictions, there could be some delays. But you can start reading the eBook right away.) Written by Paul Boag.
Table Of Contents
- Avoid the Dangers of Persuasion — Paul begins your journey towards improved conversion with a rock-solid business case you can take to management or clients to avoid the more manipulative techniques you see online.
- Measure Conversion Effectively — You cannot improve what you are not measuring. That is why, in Paul’s second chapter, he explores how to measure your conversion rate effectively. Only then can you start to improve it.
- Get to Know Your Users — If you want to persuade people to act, you need to understand how they think and what they want. To do that you need to carry out at least some user research. In this chapter, Paul introduces you to easy to use techniques that will get the job done with the minimum of investment.
- Build a User-Centric Sales Funnel — The decision to act doesn’t take place in isolation and is part of the broader user journey. In this chapter, Paul explains how to understand that journey and build a sales funnel that supports the user’s experience, rather than seeking to interrupt it.
- Address Objections and Reduce Risks — This chapter explores one of the most important aspects of encouraging users to act — addressing their concerns. Paul shows you how to identify user’s objections and then overcome them, so reducing the risk of taking action in the minds of users.
- Establish Trust and Overcome Scepticism — People will not hand over money or personal information if they do not trust you. To make matters worse users have learned to be sceptical online. In this chapter, you will learn how to build a connection with your audience and help them learn to trust you.
- Defeat Cognitive Overload — In this chapter, you will discover how to reach an audience who is distracted and time-poor. You will learn the importance of not making users think and learn valuable techniques for making taking action an effortless experience.
- Overcoming the Problem With Perception — Are your users taking away the right message from your website? Do they understand what you offer or that it is relevant to them? It is easy to leave a website without acting because you had the wrong impression. This chapter shows you how to address this genuine danger.
- Never Stop Testing and Iterating — While Click! is packed with great tips and techniques, the real key to success is a programme of ongoing testing and iteration. In this chapter, Paul shows you how to put in place a methodology that will keep your conversion rate growing for years to come.
- Address the Whole Experience — While marketers and UX designers have an enormous impact on conversion, they are only a part of the story. That is why in this chapter, Paul shows you how to address the whole user experience and start encouraging colleagues to help improve the conversion rate too.
- Where to Go From Here — With a book this packed with advice, it can be overwhelming. Fortunately, Paul concludes the book with some practical next steps that you can take, wherever you are on your journey to improve conversion.
About The Author
Paul Boag is a leader in conversion rate optimisation and user experience design thinking. He has over 25 years experience working with clients such as Doctors Without Borders and PUMA. He is the author of six books and a well respected presenter.
- 304 pages,
- ISBN: 978-3-945749-87-6,
- Quality hardcover with stitched binding and a ribbon page marker,
- The eBook is available in PDF, EPUB, and Amazon Kindle formats,
- Shipped via free worldwide airmail shipping from Germany.