In this full-day workshop, Vitaly Friedman, co-founder of Smashing Magazine, will present clever front-end tricks and strategies for building responsive websites — with pattern libraries, CSS Grid, Custom CSS Properties, Flexbox, SVG, Accessibility, responsive images, performance tricks, service workers and HTTP/2. Yes, all of it.
With HTTP/2, Service Workers, CSS Custom Properties, Responsive Images, Flexbox, Progressive CSS, CSS Grid, SVG, WAI-ARIA roles and Font Loading API now available in browsers, we all are still trying to figure out just the right strategy for designing and buildings responsive websites efficiently. We want to use all of these technologies and smart processes like atomic design, but how can we use them efficiently, and how do we achieve it within a reasonable amount of time?
In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman, co-founder of Smashing Magazine, will be looking into a strategy for crafting fast, resilient and flexible responsive design systems by utilizing all of those wonderful shiny web technologies we have available today. We'll also talk about dealing with legacy browsers and will cover a few dirty little techniques that might ensure that your responsive websites will stay relevant, flexible and accessible in the years to come.
IN THIS WORKSHOP, YOU'LL LEARN:
- responsive design patterns and innovative approaches to designing "responsive modules" such as tables, calendars, mega-drop-downs, dashboards, maps, forms, lightboxes and filters,
- architecting and building pattern libraries, style guides and design systems,
- layout techniques (Flexbox and CSS Grid),
- resolution independence (SVG Gotchas),
- compressive and responsive images (optimization and techniques),
- web font loading strategy (options, strategy, code snippets),
- performance issues/strategy (best practices + HTTP/2 + HTTPS + prefetching techniques), including transition from HTTP to HTTPS,
- Service Workers, how to make use of them and how to keep maintenance sane,
- maintenance issues (e.g. dealing with legacy browsers),
- common front-end challenges and solutions,
- accessibility issues and techniques,
- dirty gotchas when building responsive HTML email newsletters,
- tooling (performance, frameworks, testing, quality assurance).
This workshop is intended for front-end designers, developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general. You should at least be familiar with some basics of responsive design, HTML5 and CSS.
- 8:30 Doors open, Registration
- 9:00 Introduction & Kick-off
- 11:00 Coffee Break
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Afternoon Session
- 15:00 Coffee Break
- 17:00 The End, Networking
- Snacks and drinks during the whole day
- Tea and coffee
- Paper and pen/pencil
What Hardware/Software Do You Need?
Whatever you are comfortable working with. We'll have many quick exercises to find just the right solutions for various real-life problems. You don't need to be a quick coder though. And make sure to get enough sleep before the workshop!