In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman (editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine), will cover practical UX techniques, clever tricks and useful strategies you need to be aware of when designing responsive websites. From complex responsive modules to clever navigation patterns, tables, accordions, calendars, dashboards and form design techniques; the workshop will provide you with everything you need to know today to start designing better responsive experiences tomorrow.
The price below is in USD.
As web applications are becoming swamped with data, and data reporting applications move to the web, both are faced with the same question: How do we deal with displaying and manipulating data, including both corporate and/or user-generated data, in responsive interfaces?
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN IN THE WORKSHOP:
We'll look into designing modular systems incorporating both universal components such as complex navigation and tables as well as custom-tailored interactive controls and user-specified filters and parameters. We'll explore rules of thumbs, techniques and practical strategies for achieving just this goal by looking into innovative examples and best practices of designing advanced real-life UIs, including:
- adaptive content,
- complex navigation, drop-downs, filters, tabs,
- advanced tables and data grids,
- multi-level carousels and accordions,
- elections graphs and charts, and data visualization in general,
- administration dashboards,
- multi-lingual experiences,
- better chat interface design,
- detailed maps and lightboxes,
- scheduling applications and calendars,
- responsive animations and transitions,
- custom car configurators,
- seating plan selection,
- eCommerce checkout flow,
- responsive upscaling for large screens,
- delightful details in UIs,
- use of audio, video and storytelling techniques,
- conversational interfaces,
- offline experiences (progressive web applications), incl. web notifications.
Designing is just one part of the story though. With our responsive interfaces operating in a complex, diverse and unpredictable environment — with a wide range of screens, input modes and connection speeds — how can we make sure that the designs which pixels we so thoroughly craft, remain consistent and coherent over time? Coordinating designs across teams is vital but always a challenge, especially in "responsive" world.
Therefore we'll also look into current and emerging UX tools, techniques and strategies that pertain to team development of web-based interaction with data, including:
- pattern libraries,
- components cut-up workshop,
- components naming strategies,
- design workflow,
- user stories,
- user journey maps,
- design sprints,
- priority lists,
- content reference wireframes,
- visual inventories,
- content inventories
You'll leave this workshop with a handy toolbox of techniques, examples and strategies to tackle both complex design problems as well as organizing your UX design workflow and collaboration in the team to make sure that your solutions are consistently used long-term.
WHAT HARDWARE/SOFTWARE DO YOU NEED?
You'll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug.
This workshop is intended for professional designers, web developers, report developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general, and specifically for reporting data.