Are you ready for a design challenge? In this brand new workshop, Vitaly Friedman, editor-in-chief and co-founder of Smashing Magazine, will be taking a microscopic examination of common interface components and problems appearing in responsive user interfaces.
The price is in USD. Thanks to AxiomZen for sponsoring and to Scott Whitehead for organizing the workshop!
In this workshop, we’ll be spending an entire day drawing and designing responsive interfaces, starting from accordions, to date/time pickers, sliders, feature comparisons, car configurators all the way to insurance calculators and trip planners.
The workshop is intended for intermediate/advanced designers and developers who have an understanding of responsive design and how it works.
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won't cover the basics, instead, the workshop covers more advanced — and often obscure — and innovative techniques.
What Will The Workshop Cover?
In this workshop, we’ll go hands-on into exploring:
- Responsive art direction techniques and advanced layouts, with many inspiring and memorable examples,
- Navigation, with mega-drop-downs, breadcrumbs, carousels, accordion and filters,
- Builders, with a car configurator and mobile plan builder,
- Forms, with email verification, password input, country selector, privacy issues, sliders and public transportation, and a banking transaction UI,
- Date pickers, date range picker and a time picker, incl. booking an appointment and booking an airline ticket,
- Tables, with a feature comparison table, currency exchange calculator, pricing plans,
- Search, with autocomplete, filters, search results,
- Calendars, with a multi-track schedule, TV Guide schedule, music festival schedule, exhibition calendar, spreadsheets and dashboard,
- Audio/Video, with a video player UI and audio-based input,
- Maps/Data Visualization, with a shopping mall map, election map, smart region input,
- Timelines, with a historical timelines, soccer game signature and live leaderboard and standings,
- Real-time experience with betting UI for soccer, poker and live video streaming,
- Footnotes and sidenotes in magazine articles,
- Seat selection, for a concert/theatre/exhibition and a perfect airplane check-in,
- Responsive PDF for documents and restaurant menus,
- Responsive upscaling, with eCommerce experience on large screens and article layout on large screens,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid to prevent running into maintenance issues and “slow UX decay”.
- 8:30—Doors open, Registration
- 9:00—Introduction & Kick-off
- 11:00—Coffee Break
- 13:30—Afternoon Session
- 15:00—Coffee Break
- 17:00—The End, Networking
What Hardware/Software Do You Need?
You'll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug. We’ll be spending a lot of time drawing, sketching, designing and thinking. Laptop is preferred but not absolutely necessary. You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day. Bring a lot of attention to detail and non-standard thinking to this one!
Location and Registration
The workshop will be taking place at the Vancouver Convention Centre, West Building situated directly at the Harbour. The exact address is 1055 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C, Canada. Vitaly's workshop will take place at Room 114.
The workshop will start on time at 9:00 AM, so please make sure to arrive in time. Coffee and juice will be waiting for you! Also, get enough sleep the night before — trust me, you'll need it! ;-)
You don't need to print out anything. Just arrive on time and have your ID in case we need to double check your name.
Parking and Public Transit
Public parking is available at many locations near the Centre. Street parking is free after 10 PM. The closest parking lot is at 400 West Cordova Street.
Major public transit lines, the SeaBus, SkyTrain and WestCoast Express terminate at Waterfront Station, located in the historic CP Rail Station on Cordova Street, opposite Simon Fraser University at Harbour Centre. Transit schedules can be found at www.translink.ca. The Centre is also within easy walking distance of all street buses with a terminus in downtown Vancouver.
About The Sponsors
Axiom Zen is a global innovation studio specializing in building startups with Fortune 500s to design, engineer, and scale future-forward companies. Our team of 60+ founders, creatives, and technical specialists are spread around the world, including Vancouver, Toronto, San Francisco, and Santiago. Our award-winning products have been featured in TIME, The New York Times, and Fast Company.
Thanks so much for sponsoring this workshop!