In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman (editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine), will cover practical UX techniques, clever tricks, design patterns and strategies you need to be aware of when working on responsive websites. The workshop will provide you with everything you need to know today to start designing better responsive experiences tomorrow.
The price is in USD. Thanks to AxiomZen for sponsoring and to Scott Whitehead for organizing the workshop!
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines, and web applications. We won't cover the basics, but rather advanced and innovative examples of RWD in action.
What You’ll Learn
- Effective tools and techniques that can support and enhance your personal workflow when working on any responsive design project,
- An overview of clever practical techniques for improving UX of responsive sites incl. navigation and search,
- Responsive Design Patterns and innovative approaches to designing "responsive modules" such as mega-drop downs, tables, calendars, multi-level menus, maps, carousels and web forms,
- Checklists, strategies and interface design techniques to increase conversion by improving clarity and consistency of the eCommerce experience. You’ll walk away with hands-on tips and techniques for crafting better experiences right away.
- How to apply clever patterns such as improved off-canvas navigation, assistant pattern, smart URL design, priority+ pattern, vertical media queries, “view mode” approach, lazy loading, autocomplete, type-ahead search, filters, portrait/landscape orientation change, inventory-based sliders, the country selector and responsive iconography,
- How to craft delightful interfaces with smooth transitions, clever animations and improve perceived performance along the way,
- How to optimize responsive websites for better mobile UX, faster data input and higher conversion rates,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid when designing a responsive site to not run into performance issues and “slow UX decay”
- How the design processes should adapt in terms of the project management, deliverables, performance budgets, team organization and strategy.
This workshop is intended for professional designers, developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general. You should at least be familiar with some basics of responsive design, HTML5 and CSS.
A UX event featuring Vitaly Friedman on UX & Design Patterns. Kindly organized and sponsored by Presented by Axiom Zen & OH! Media.
- 8:30—Doors open, Registration
- 9:00—Introduction & Kick-off
- 11:00—Coffee Break
- 13:30—Afternoon Session
- 15:00—Coffee Break
- 17:00—The End, Networking
What Hardware/Software Do You Need?
You'll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug.
Location and Registration
The workshop will be taking place at the Vancouver Convention Centre, West Building situated directly at the Harbour. The exact address is 1055 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C, Canada. Vitaly's workshop will take place at Room 114.
The workshop will start on time at 9:00 AM, so please make sure to arrive in time. Coffee and juice will be waiting for you! Also, get enough sleep the night before — trust me, you'll need it! ;-)
You don't need to print out anything. Just arrive on time and have your ID in case we need to double check your name.
Parking and Public Transit
Public parking is available at many locations near the Centre. Street parking is free after 10 PM. The closest parking lot is at 400 West Cordova Street.
Major public transit lines, the SeaBus, SkyTrain and WestCoast Express terminate at Waterfront Station, located in the historic CP Rail Station on Cordova Street, opposite Simon Fraser University at Harbour Centre. Transit schedules can be found at www.translink.ca. The Centre is also within easy walking distance of all street buses with a terminus in downtown Vancouver.
About The Sponsors
Axiom Zen is an innovation studio. They build products and teams that power successful businesses. The results of our craft are diverse, but unified by a common purpose: to advance the world toward a bright and sustainable future. Our award-winning products have been featured in TIME, The New York Times, USA Today, Fast Co, and Wired.
Thanks so much for sponsoring this workshop!