In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman (editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine), will cover practical UX techniques, clever tricks and useful strategies you need to be aware of when designing responsive websites. From complex responsive modules to clever navigation patterns, tables, accordions, calendars, dashboards and form design techniques; the workshop will provide you with everything you need to know today to start designing better responsive experiences tomorrow.
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won't cover the basics, but rather advanced and innovative examples of RWD in action.
IN THE WORKSHOP, WE'LL BE TAKING A CLOSER LOOK AT:
- Effective tools and techniques that can support and enhance your personal workflow when working on any responsive design project,
- How to build and maintain future-proof pattern libraries and design systems,
- An overview of clever practical techniques for improving UX of responsive sites incl. navigation and search,
- Responsive Design Patterns and innovative approaches to designing "responsive modules" such as mega-drop downs, tables, calendars, multi-level menus, maps, carousels and web forms,
- How to apply clever patterns such as improved off-canvas navigation, assistant pattern, smart URL design, priority+ pattern, vertical media queries, “view mode” approach, lazy loading, autocomplete, type-ahead search, filters, portrait/landscape orientation change, inventory-based sliders, the country selector and responsive iconography,
- How to craft delightful interfaces with smooth transitions, clever animations and improve perceived performance along the way,
- How to optimize responsive websites for better mobile UX, faster data input and higher conversion rates,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid when designing a responsive site to not run into performance issues and “slow UX decay”, and
- How the design processes should adapt in terms of the project management, deliverables, performance budgets, team organisation and strategy.
WHAT HARDWARE/SOFTWARE DO YOU NEED?
You'll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug.
This workshop is intended for professional designers, developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general. You should at least be familiar with some basics of responsive design, HTML5 and CSS.
We'll send you the registration details after purchase.
The Caribbean Embassy
Workshop Schedule (November 28th, 2016)
8:30 – Doors open, Registration
9:00 – Introduction
11:00 – Coffee Break
12:30 – Lunch
1:30 – Afternoon Session
3:00 – Coffee Break
5:00 – The End, Networking
Kindly organized and supported by Jaromir Fojcik and the creativestyle design agency in Munich.