In this full-day workshop, Vitaly Friedman, editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine, will present practical techniques, clever tricks and useful strategies you need to be aware of when working on any responsive design project. Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large e-commerce projects, online magazines and Web applications.
We'll be looking at practical techniques for building smart, well-designed front-end and improving overall UX of responsive websites. We will discuss over 20 different problems and solutions, with small hands-on tasks and in-depth reviews of proposed ideas and solutions. This will involve a mixture of both individual and group work. There will be plenty of time allocated to discussions, so we can make sure that everyone understands how to apply what you've learned to your specific workflow and projects.
What You'll Learn In This Workshop:
- Effective tools and techniques to support and enhance your personal workflow when working on any responsive design project,
- Responsive Design Patterns and innovative approaches to designing "responsive modules" such as mega-drop downs, tables, calendars, multi-level menus, maps, carousels and web forms,
- How to apply clever RWD patterns such as improved off-canvas navigation, assistant pattern, smart URL design, priority+ pattern, vertical media queries, “view mode” approach, lazy loading, autocomplete, type-ahead search, filters, portrait/landscape orientation change, inventory-based sliders, the country selector and responsive iconography,
- How to optimize responsive websites for better mobile UX, faster data input and higher conversion rates,
- Front-end strategies for scalable, resolution-independent graphics and maintainable CSS code (SVG + Flexbox),
- Lessons learned from Smashing Magazine's own redesign and performance optimizations,
- How to manage legacy browsers and deal with Internet Explorer 8 and Android 2.3 in responsive projects,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid when designing a responsive site to not run into performance issues and “slow UX decay”,
- How the design processes should adapt in terms of the project management, deliverables, performance budgets, team organization and strategy.
This workshop is intended for professional designers, developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general. You should at least be familiar with some basics of responsive design, HTML5 and CSS.Further information on the event location and the workshop itinerary are included in the ticket confirmation (PDF) you'll receive per email right after your purchase.
Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and does not give up easily. Originally from Minsk in Belarus, he studied computer science and mathematics in Germany, discovered the passage of passion for typography, writing and design. After working as a freelance designer and developer for six years, he co-founded Smashing Magazine, a leading online magazine dedicated to design and Web development. Vitaly is the author, co-author and editor of all the Smashing books. He currently works as editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine in the lovely city of Freiburg, Germany.
- 8:30 Doors open, Registration
- 9:00 Introduction & Kick-off
- 11:00 Coffee Break
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Afternoon Session
- 15:00 Coffee Break
- 17:00 The End, Networking
Workshop includes snacks and drinks during the whole day, tea and coffee, lunch, paper and pen/pencil as well as a full slide deck of the workshop (and a few videos as well).
What Hardware/Software Do You Need?
No technology required though a laptop might be helpful at times.
The workshop will be hosted at the West One. The workshop will be running from 9:00AM-5:00PM on Wednesday, July 1st. See you there? ;-)