The implications of desktop publishing, where anybody who has access to a computer can set type, have led to a flood of poorly designed brochures, flyers and web pages. In Web design especially illegible text, incorrect use of punctuation marks and inappropriate font combinations or use of line widths are frequent. The new techniques that Web fonts offer might bring about even worse examples of ugly and illegible Web typography.
Getting the Hang Of Web Typography is dedicated to web workers that are dealing with typography in their daily lives, but have no special training for this independent craft. This eBook gives you the necessary background on macro- and microtypography, it helps you to choose suitable fonts and use modern techniques such as Web font embedding. It’s a valuable read that helps you to create rich, sophisticated Web sites with beautiful and elegant Web typography.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Ails Of Typographic Anti-Aliasing
- 10 Principles For Readable Web Typograph
- 5 Principles and Ideas of Setting Type on the Web
- Lessons From Swiss Style Graphic Design
- 8 Simple Ways to Improve Typography in Your Designs
- Typographic Design Patterns and Best Practices
- The Typography Dress Code: Principles of Choosing and Using Typefaces
- Best Practices of Combining Typefaces
- Guide to CSS Font Stacks: Techniques and Resources
- New Typographic Possibilities with CSS 3
- Good Old @Font-Face Rule Revisited
- The Current Web Font Formats
- Review of Popular Web Font Embedding Services
- How to Embed Web Fonts from your Server
- Web Typography: Work-arounds, Tips and Tricks
- 10 Useful Typography Tools
- Formats: PDF, EPUB, Kindle (DRM-free)
- Pages: 242
- Language: English
- Released: January 2011
- Publisher: Smashing Media GmbH
- ISBN: 978-3-943075-07-6
Excerpt From Chapter 2
10 Principles For Readable Web Typography — by
Readability is one of the more important aspects of Web design usability. Readable text affects how users process the information in the content. Poor readability scares readers away from the content. On the other hand, done correctly, readability allows users to efficiently read and take in the information in the text. You want users to be able to read your content and absorb it easily.
There are many factors that play into the readability of text. There are also a number of terms, all very important. Here are a few of the more common web typography terms and an explanation of how each term affects readability.
Excerpt From Chapter 8
Best Practices Of Combining Typefaces — by
Creating great typeface combinations is an art, not a science. Indeed, the beauty of typography has no borders. While there are no absolute rules to follow, it is crucial that you understand and apply some best practices when combining fonts in a design. When used with diligence and attention, these principles will always yield suitable results.
Typefaces of the same classification, but from different typeface families, can easily create discord when combined. Their distinct personalities don՚t play well off of each other and create a kind of typographic mud if careful attention is not paid.