In this full-day workshop, Vitaly Friedman, editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine, will present clever front-end tricks and strategies for building responsive websites — with pattern libraries, SVG, Flexbox, CSS Grids, Accessibility, responsive images, performance tricks, service workers and HTTP/2. Yes, all of it.
With HTTP/2, Service Workers, Responsive Images, Flexbox, CSS Grid, SVG, WAI-ARIA roles and Font Loading API now available in browsers, we all are still trying to figure out just the right strategy for designing and buildings responsive websites efficiently. We want to use all of these technologies and smart processes like atomic design, but how can we use them efficiently, and how do we achieve it within a reasonable amount of time?
In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman, editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine, will be looking into a strategy for crafting fast, resilient and flexible responsive design systems by utilizing all of those wonderful shiny web technologies we have available today. We'll also talk about dealing with legacy browsers and will cover a few dirty little techniques that might ensure that your responsive websites will stay relevant, flexible and accessible in the years to come.
IN THIS WORKSHOP, YOU'LL LEARN:
- Effective tools and techniques that can support and enhance your personal workflow when working on any responsive design project,
- Front-end strategies for scalable, resolution-independent graphics and maintainable CSS code,
- Responsive design patterns and innovative approaches to designing "responsive modules" such as tables, calendars, mega-drop-downs, dashboards, maps, forms, lightboxes and filters,
- Testing, debugging and maintenance techniques for responsive sites as well as lessons learned from Smashing Magazine's own ongoing refactoring and performance optimizations,
- An overview of clever practical techniques for improving the (perceived and actual) performance of responsive sites,
- Technical issues (and solutions) for responsive advertising and responsive email newsletters,
- How to optimize responsive websites for better mobile experience and offline experience, and
- How the processes should adapt in terms of the project management, deliverables, performance budgets, team organisation and strategy.
This workshop is intended for designers, developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general. You should at least be familiar with some basics of responsive design, HTML5 and CSS.
- 8:30 Doors open, Registration
- 9:00 Introduction & Kick-off
- 11:00 Coffee Break
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Afternoon Session
- 15:00 Coffee Break
- 17:00 The End, Networking
- Snacks and drinks during the whole day
- Tea and coffee
- Paper and pen/pencil
What Hardware/Software Do You Need?
Whatever you are comfortable working with. We'll have many quick exercises to find just the right solutions for various real-life problems. You don't need to be a quick coder though. And make sure to get enough sleep before the workshop!
IED School of Design
C/ Biada, 11,