In this full-day workshop, Vitaly Friedman (editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine), will present practical techniques, clever tricks and useful strategies you need to be aware of when working on any responsive design project. Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and Web applications.
About Vitaly Friedman:Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and does not give up easily. Originally from Minsk in Belarus, he studied computer science and mathematics in Germany, discovered the passage of passion for typography, writing and design. After working as a freelance designer and developer for 6 years, he co-founded Smashing Magazine, a leading online magazine dedicated to design and Web development. Vitaly is the author, co-author and editor of all the Smashing books. He currently works as editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine in the lovely city of Freiburg, Germany.
The Workshop Will Provide You With:
- Effective tools and techniques that can support and enhance your personal workflow when working on any responsive design project,
- An overview of clever practical techniques for improving UX as well as performance of responsive sites,
- Front-end strategies for scalable, resolution-independent graphics and maintainable CSS code,
- Responsive Design Patterns and innovative approaches to designing "responsive modules" such as tables, calendars, multi-level menus, maps and Web forms,
- Testing, debugging and maintenance techniques for responsive sites as well as lessons learned from Smashing Magazine's own redesign in 2012,
- Technical issues (and solutions) for responsive advertising and responsive email newsletters,
- How to optimize responsive websites for better mobile UX, offline UX and print, and
- How the design processes should adapt in terms of the project management, deliverables, performance budgets, team organisation and strategy.
This workshop is intended for professional designers, developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general. You should at least be familiar with some basics of responsive design, HTML5 and CSS.
Further information on the event location and the workshop itinerary are included within the ticket confirmation (PDF) — downloadable after your purchase.
- 8:30 Doors open, Registration
- 9:00 Introduction & Kick-off
- 11:00 Coffee Break
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Afternoon Session
- 15:00 Coffee Break
- 17:00 The End, Networking
- Snacks and drinks during the whole day
- Tea and coffee
- Paper and pen/pencil
What Hardware/Software Do You Need?
- No technology required though a laptop might be helpful at times.