In this full-day workshop, Vitaly Friedman, editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine, will present practical techniques, clever tricks and useful strategies you need to be aware of when working on any responsive design project. Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large e-commerce projects, online magazines and Web applications.
We'll be looking at specific techniques for building well organised, front-end software, and wherever possible this work will be hands-on. Vitaly will introduce theories and ideas for dealing with common problems, and attendees will be assigned small tasks so they can experiment for themselves with these techniques. This will be involve a mixture of both individual and group work. There will be plenty of time allocated to discussions, so we can make sure that everyone understands how they can apply what they've learned to their specific working environments.
The Workshop Will Provide You With:
- Effective tools and techniques that can support and enhance your personal workflow when working on any responsive design project,
- An overview of clever practical techniques for improving UX as well as performance of responsive sites,
- Front-end strategies for scalable, resolution-independent graphics and maintainable CSS code,
- Responsive design patterns and innovative approaches to designing "responsive modules" such as tables, calendars, multi-level menus, maps and Web forms,
- Testing, debugging and maintenance techniques for responsive sites as well as lessons learned from Smashing Magazine's own ongoing refactoring and performance optimizations,
- Technical issues (and solutions) for responsive advertising and responsive email newsletters,
- How to manage legacy browsers and deal with Internet Explorer 8 and Android 2.3 in responsive projects, and
- How the design processes should adapt in terms of the project management, deliverables, performance budgets, team organisation and strategy.
This workshop is intended for professional designers, developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general. You should at least be familiar with some basics of responsive design, HTML5 and CSS.
Further information on the event location and the workshop itinerary are included within the ticket confirmation (PDF) — downloadable after your purchase.
What Hardware/Software Do You Need?
To get the most out of the workshop, you'll need to bring a laptop with your preferred text editor.
- 8:30—Doors open, Registration
- 9:00—Introduction & Kick-off
- 11:00—Coffee Break
- 13:30—Afternoon Session
- 15:00—Coffee Break
- 17:00—The End, Networking
Microsoft Technology Center
11 Times Square, 7th Floor
(Between 41st & 42nd Streets on 8th Ave.)
New York, NY, 10036